Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Craving...

Another food post! All thanks to my pregnant cravings, but this particular dish is a favorite whether I'm pregnant or not. So what is it?

Formally, my craving is called Okonomiyaki, but Dad simply called them "Japanese pancakes" growing up, which is what I say too. Dad also did a simpler version than what you might find in Japan, but I am an advocate for simple. Here is what you would find in Japan:


If you want to know more, visit here: Okonomiyaki. Those examples are much more elaborate than what I grew up eating, and probably just as tasty, but I will stick with what I know :)

So how do you make my Dad's version of a Japanese pancake? You need:

2 c. flour
1 tspn baking powder
2+ c. milk
Any lunch meat diced (we used bologna...don't hate!)
Chopped green onion

I didn't put particular ingredient amounts for the meat or green onion as it depends on the eater! Use more or less as you like, but I personally prefer a nice balance of meat, green onion, and batter. As well, use milk as necessary to get a silky consistency. You don't want the batter to be too thin or too thick. When finished, the pancake should be nice and flat, but about 1/4" thick.

Once you've combined all ingredients and the mixture is at the right consistency, cook the mixture like any American pancake on an electric skillet or in a pan.

Serve with soy sauce of course :) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment